Tis the Season to Relax - Taking Time for Numero Uno

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The year-end holiday season can be very stressful for small biz owners (and everyone). The stress of trying to meeting your annual business goals - growth, sales, marketing - to completing orders (quilting, sewing, making jewelry or baskets, baking, typing, cutting, gluing and whatever else you do) and sending them out....... then fielding calls from angry clients who didn't get their orders on time (and now their grandmother who lives in bumbumho won't get their gift on time because it takes 13 days to get there by post and now they're down to day 12)............because you got the post office late and couldn't send out the package on time (because it was snowing and hailing and sleeting and raining and you had a million other things to take care of and also because sometimes life happens!!!).......


Everything around you is sucking the motivation out of you............. You look around the room and all you see are your partially completed projects -
-your mother-in-law's quilt (2/3 complete and you don't have the energy to even look at it)
- your sister's scarf (1/3 complete and you're definitely not going to complete that by 1/1/08)
- your daughter's gloves - (.01 complete and you don't even know where you left the darn yarn)
- your mother's necklace (almost done.........it's the only thing you'll get done this year)
- your business plan (untouched)
- your financials (untouched)
- your tax information (you'll deal with that in january)
- those customer orders (you've stopped answering emails and phones)
- your best friend's bracelet (you can't even remember her name)....................................


And of course, while all this craziness is going on you're planning for 2008. You're listing all the things you think you want to accomplish........focusing so much on what you want to do in 2008 that you're forgetting what you need to get done today in 2007. You're down to your last ounce of patience....... you'll snap if anyone even looked in your direction........ You're wondering if you're gonna make it. You're wondering whether you should just chuck up your business because its not even worth it. It's so much work, after all. But what isn't? Breathe in ................ Breathe out............... Repeat................Repeat................. You feel better already :-)


Interestingly, the year-end holiday season is the least stressful season for me. I'm upbeat, happy, at peace with my progess, excited and hopeful for the new year. I met someone today who isn't so hopeful for the future. She's lost her ethusiasm for continuing her jewelry-making business, has decided its not worth the hassle and will just focus on her day job for now. She hates the holiday season and want's the "d*&^ holiday to come and be gone already." She believes everyone is just "extra phony during this season and it gets on her last nerves." She's "lost her motivation and 2008 is probably gonna suck anyway." And you thought you were having a bad day :-)

All I can say is "keep your head up chica!!!" You're not superwoman. You're only human. Breathe. Here's to hoping you have a relaxing season!!!


Below is an excerpt of some advice from Romanus Wolter for combating stress. This may come in handy for those who get "special stress" during the year-end holiday season.

As entrepreneurs, we often let stress get in the way of our success. But while we are driven to succeed, we need to realize that taking time to relax isn't a gift for ourselves-it's a necessary and indispensable part of performing at our peak and staying sane.

True success comes from appreciating your achievements and managing your business growth. To accomplish this, you must take your well-being seriously. You need to reflect on what you've accomplished and take time to let your nerves go, even if only for a few moments.

It's easy to grow accustomed to an increased level of stress. To avoid getting burned out, don't just make relaxation an item on your to-do list. Learn to rejuvenate your soul and increase your creativity by:

1. Taking a break-even if just for a minute: Relaxation can take any form that's appealing to you and any length of time. Studies have shown that simply tensing your muscles and allowing them to relax is an effective way to decompress. Find a quiet place to lie down, uncross your legs and arms, and rest your palms on your stomach. Close your eyes, and breathe deeply. Tense every muscle from the top of your head to your toes for a second. Then simply clear your mind for a moment.

2. Making relaxation part of your routine: Take 15 minutes each day to reflect and have downtime. No amount of regret can make up for lost time or opportunities. Achieve clarity by recognizing your successes, letting go of your stress, and deciding on the best step for you to take next.

3. Turning frustration into inspiration: When obstacles cross your path, it's much easier to get riled up than it is to calm down. No one can predict the future. Instead of becoming aggravated about occurrences out of your control, relax and try to spot opportunities. Ask yourself "How can this situation fuel my success?" You'll be amazed at the possibilities you discover.

4. Saying no to less important things: You are in control of your to-do list. Learn to use your intuition to decide if opportunities are right for your business. Saying no is a big part of your overall success, and people will respect your honesty. In fact, they will begin to approach you with the right ideas that will help you achieve success on your terms.

To truly relax, you must be true to yourself. Pay attention to any physical or emotional symptoms that arise in response to stress. When you feel anxious, recognize that it's OK to relax, slack off for a short period, or get more sleep. Success comes from attaining your goals-and relaxation has to be one of them.

Excerpted from Entrepreneur.com.

Life Happens
Christmas Pills
Soaking Feet
Relaxing Day

14 comments:

Foster Communications said...

Sounds like my day. I made two ornaments, printed photos and did some matting, made some soap and worked on a bracelet. What did I get done?? Well, I did quite well and making a huge mess. But I figure it's like this, I can only do what I can do when I can do it. If I stress about getting stuff it's takes the fun right out of it. And fun/fulfillment is why I do this stuff instead of staring at spreadsheets all day.

zippiknits said...

Hey there, thanks for your comment on my blog. I very much appreciate feedback even if it's so succinct!

I'm a silversmith, ceramic and seamstress (stress mostly) entrepreneur who ran a micro business for 15 years. I can appreciate how hard it is to stay in the marketplace year after year. Wishing you all the luck and sales you can handle. You won't go crazy. Honest.

June said...

Hello there,

I am surprise to receive a comment from you , thanks anyway :) Can I ask how do u come across to my site ? Or are you someone I know ?

The Seeker said...

nice post.
I'm very stressfully
Stop by my blog http://searchingtheinnerme.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Wow, this is a great little article! Very informative! I think I may have to get my husband some of those Christmas Stress pills. Hehe...

Daniel of "Daniels Counter" said...

very important!

Endymion said...

I want four jars of the pills. :)

jellofer said...

Great tips on how to reduce stress! It's definitely something everyone should be aware of, not only this time of year, but all year round too I think!

and LOL @ the pills.

Gem said...

I really enjoyed reading this. It was humorous and helpful. I love to support entrepreneurs, I look forward to purchasing some of your creations in the future. I've got to get through Christmas first though. Good luck with all of your endeavors!

The OE said...

No matter how I slice it, being a secret agent is a stressful job. Fortunately I have a passion for maintaining National security.

wineinabox said...

Loved the first cartoon picture. It looks like me! And thanks for reminding me I have stuff to do in 2007 before I get too ahead of myself in planning for those things I WILL (or hopefully will) get done in 2008. Size 2, here I come.

Knikki said...

really enjoyed reading this article! keep up the good work

Jen said...

Where could I get a hold of those Christmas pills for next year?

Angelika@ Purple Sage Designz said...

Your posts are always right on the mark, "Numero Uno" cracked me up because we used that term in a lot of our jokes about Christmas stress.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...