Few Reasons to Shop "Hand-made"

Monday, January 14, 2008

Before I started making jewelry or giftbaskets, I'd comparison shop and wonder - "why would i pay $$$$$ for that when I can get it at some mall for cheaper?" Today, I understand "Why." I've moved from shopping primarily at mass malls to a mix of hand-made and boutiques, when I can help it. Everyone should shop where they want, and this is not a post to go hand-made. It merely highlights a few answers to questions I've had in the past. Enjoy!!!


Here are few reasons, excerpted from EtsyWiki

You are purchasing higher quality products, made with love and care by the artisan.

You are purchasing unique items that are not mass-produced. Even if the same product may be made a thousand times each will be unique in some tiny way.

Buying handmade supports artists, crafters, designers and small business owners instead of large corporations - if you buy handmade you help someone live their dream.

When you buy handmade art objects you are also getting a piece of the artist’s soul.

Those who value handmade are usually eager to know about the artist that made their piece and they value the skill and passion that went into its creation. Handmade pieces have life, unlike items that are mass-produced by machines and basically untouched by human hands during the creation process.

You are helping to promote local economies and fair trade. Investment in the creative sector brings a huge boost to the economic, cultural and social vitality of communities.

Handmade products are increasingly being made with recycled materials. This is excellent for the environment.

You as the buyer vote with your purchase. This offers immediate feedback to the artisan and allows them to gauge which items to further develop. This feedback loop is vital to the handmade indiepreneur.

Handmade items appeal to trend setters, not trend followers.

Handmade items can push boundaries - they aren't in thrall to the dictates of the mass market.

Handmade items can often be custom-made, fit, and colored, to the buyer's specifics or wishes making it even more unique and, often, practical.


Cartoon







14 comments:

Sarah Furaha said...

Just dropping by to say hello.
I enjoy reading your blog

Tazzee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I love the energy from your site.

I must admit I do enjoy handmade items. The thought that someone put their time, energy and dare I say love into something I have is a blessing to me.

SD Sue said...

Preach it sister! I agree with all that you say, and you say it so well! Is the new boutique close to opening?

Meesh said...

Handmade things are always more interesting to me. I love visiting little shops when I visit a new town.

The LuxNoir Crew said...

I agree sometimes hand-made items allow you to express yourself more. Sometimes you don't want what everyone else has.

Foster Communications said...

There's just something about wearing/owning a piece of art-rather than something that's mass produced.

I love to browse around on etsy.com to shop and get inspiration too.

Yayemarie said...

gallll u must be so buzzy sista ..so may great ideas..w/the businesses love it sista ...keep it ma'..love the music:))
have 1 wonderful day sista

Lovebabz said...

Loved the post and you are soo right handmade is so much better!

Charlotte said...

From which material is this bracelet made?

Knikki said...

That's why I only bought cool souvenirs in Mexico. They're way cooler than anything you could get in the store...

Elle said...

Hey Sassy-doll! Thanks for stopping by...I love the blog and I'll def be back!

fara soliano said...

hey.! thx coz like my attitude.. =)

KreativeMix said...

Thanks for stopping by!!!!! YOu guys are on point - handmade items have so much energy to them. knowing that someone made something for you and knowing that no two things are exactly identical definitely rocks!!!!

KreativeMix said...

Charlotte -wood beads and pins :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...